Tuesday 10 April 2012

Watercolour Nails

Hi everyone!

I hope you have all had a good Easter / Bank Holiday / Weekend!

After my Easter themed mani, I really wanted to play around with some of the pastel colours I had left out on my desk. I always love to try new things, and so I really wanted to try the Watercolour effect manicures I had seen on other blogs and on Youtube.



This is surprisingly simple to do for such a sweet effect. I started by painting a base coat of OPI's Skull and Glossbones. I'm not sure why, but I also added a coat of China Glaze's Exceptionally Gifted, which is a pretty sheer frosted pink. I didn't need to add it for this mani, but I'm glad I did as I can see it becoming a future combination win!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings... For this manicure, you will need a clean and small paintbrush, some pure acetone in a little pot (I used the lid) and some paper / towels to avoid too much mess.



I chose four colours to play with, in fact almost the same four I used for the Easter manicure in my last post -

Collection 2000 Lemon Soda
H+M Pink and 'Grilac' from the Dusty Nails Duo,
and Leighton Denny Inside Scoop

I started with Lemon Soda, and made a small splodge of polish on my nail.  I then dipped my brush in some acetone, and blotted it on the paper to get rid of the excess. Whilst blotting, I pushed my brush so that the bristles fanned out, so that it was wide enough to pick up the colour splodge.

A fanned out brush - so you know what I mean!


 I found that the effect turned out better when I flipped the brush and used the underside of the bristles - the side that hadn't touched the paper - if that makes any sense!

Then, I gently pressed the bristles on the splodge and re-splodges it four or five times in different areas over the nail. I did this to all of my nails before starting with the next colour. After that, it's basically a rinse and repeat kinda thing!


As you can imagine, some colours do work better than others - Inside Scoop was a bit watery for this to work properly, so I left that polish for about 20 seconds before applying the brush and acetone. After I had applied all of my colours, I sealed it with my China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat, and I was done! 

This is a very simple way to add some nail art to your life - it's easy and quick, but looks like it might have taken you hours. And you could do this with so many colour combinations!! I so need to try neons next ;)

I hope you like it,

Thanks for reading,

Love Charlotte x


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your messages, so if you have something to say, please let me know! x